How to Achieve a Single Digit Handicap for Golf
Can anyone become a single digit handicapper? More of us can than we know, but the effort involved is usually greater than we expect.
The basics are, first and foremost God-given ability. As anyone who's ever yearned to swing like Ernie Els knows, Nature equips certain percentages of the populace with better athletic ability than others.
But as anyone who's ever watched Arnold Palmer knows, Nature allows those who are not gifted with extreme athletic prowess the ability to compensate for this defect with mental acuity.
Practice Makes Perfect
Who was it that said practice is the best of all instructors? The long and short of it is that the road to single digit golf requires one or more of the following:
- A great feel and passion for the game, and the ability to learn proper golf mechanics
- At least 4 - 5 days of practice of at least one hour sessions
- Professional instruction to determine if there are any major swing flaws
- A willingness to practice all your shots, especially those that are challenging
- A commitment to play smart, record the areas of your game that need improvement and then the tenacity to make those improvements
A Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body
Then there's the exercise factor. Maintaining a certain level of flexibility, having a good diet and keeping in good health can be overlooked areas when assessing your golf game. Feeling good off the course always enhances your chances of feeling good on the course – and reducing your handicap.
Tailored Golf Equipment
Good golf equipment, especially a club that is fitted to you and your respective swing, is key to any great golf game. You wouldn't ask a basketball player to shoot hoops with a beach ball. Don't be afraid to demand the same quality of your golf equipment.
Repeat after me: "I will persevere."
Keep golfing,Robert R. LaPorte
"the Golf Nut"Return to the Golf Nut Learning Center